How to Perform a Technical SEO Audit
Some of the following are examples of technical items that can affect your overall search visibility and ranking. The better performing your site is technically the easier it is to rank well and get found in search results.
- Index status
- Server software
- Robots.txt file
- Identifying redirects
- Identifying pages not found
- Basic SEO settings
- Use of correct header tags
- Identifying non-secure pages and any mixed-content issues
- Checking for normal URL structure
- Checking for the correct use of title and heading tags
- Image sizes
- Image attributes
- Page Speed
- Technical SEO for WordPress
- Proper SEO titles and descriptions and lengths
- Use of Google Analytics
- Identifying issues within Google Search Console
- Proper use of schema data
- Checking for broken links
- Checking for high levels of spam comments
- Checking for malware, infected files, or any site warnings
- Use of caching
- Use of a Content Delivery Network
Good technical SEO right boils down to making the site as easy to crawl and classify based on what your site is all about.
Getting all the SEO settings correct is also very important, you’ve already spent time and money on content and layout, so it’s got to be readable by the search engines too.
One example of a technical SEO issue is when a site has duplicate content. If the SEO settings are not correct, search engines might think you’ve created URL’s for indexing that were just meant to be ways for classifying content for the user who visits your site, unfortunately, search engines can (and do) often see this as having duplicate content and potentially can penalize the site.
We also can help you navigate what should or shouldn’t be in your robots.txt file, XML sitemap, as well as concrete suggestions for improving page speed for the entire site. Image optimization goes hand in hand with improving page speed, so, if your site needs help we’ll have some specifics for you that’ll improve what’s already in place as well as ideas to keep image size under control for the future also.
Missing or duplicate HTML tags can also cause issues, we can identify this in the audit and show you how to fix it.
Feel free to reach out and start getting your site in better shape, submit the form to get started. We looking forward to working with you.